Friday, November 7, 2008

Week 10:

Comments:

To Nate on the Digital Libraries article:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=301150766198525940&postID=5836373957895676096&page=1

To Lauren on sub-surfaces on the web:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4181925387762663697&postID=3072857614832667163&page=1

Digital Libraries:

I agree that one of the biggest problems when tryint to conduct an effective search is just how much scholary material is out there! It was cool to see how a Federated Search Diagram is laid out and how it works. Also, all of the funded projects and background work that went into the evolution of the "digital library."

Dewey meets Turing:

Right off the bat this article made me realize how important our degree title is... and that the 'I' in MLIS is really important. When it comes to digitizing libraries, it does require 3 people. Librarians, computer scientists, and publishers... OR just 1 MLIS graduate. Very intersting and informative!

Institutional Repositiories:

The link didn't work for me on this one, so I 'googled' it and found what I think is the correct article... It was cool to see how certain actions like the cost decrease of online storage costs has contributed to the evolution of digital, disciplinary scholarly practices.

Muddiest Point:

A lot of us seem to agree that we don't quite get how multiple links increase the rank on one's webpage. However, links and ads do make you a lot of money!

Also, my website looks really bad without pictures... I wish they would work on the Pitt server. Perhaps some Jing screen captures of my site to come?

1 comment:

ngrey_o said...

Hey man what a great way to characterize our degrees! I think thats a great way to put it, because we are definitely being trained to do the job of multiple people. Thats evolution in action 4 ya...well at least in the library field.