Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Week: 9

Comments:

To Lauren on XML:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4181925387762663697&postID=6088639436438282257&page=1

To Jenny on XML:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=61837130736160649&postID=6652831274209621358&page=1

An Intro to XML:

Interesting, but hard to understand... I wish it was worded better. Some links to examples also would've been a great help... "Enter a third-level heading without first entering a second-level heading..." What?! The components section should've definitely come first, and an XML cheat sheet would've been awesome.

A Survey of XML Standards, Part 1:

This reading provided some good history of XML along with some useful links to help you fully understand what XML is and how it works. The references the Uche Ogbuji provided were helpful as well. Before reading this article I didn't quite know what it meant when I checked the "XML" and the "XHTML" boxes in Dreamweaver... Now I know, and this is my new XML cheat sheet.

Andre Bergholz Tutorial:

This tutorial had excellent explanations. It explained the difference between XML, SGML, and HTML. It makes it clear that HTML actually tells nothing about data content. The figures were a big help with understanding and showed in written code the difference between HTML and XML. You can actually see all of the content contained in XML code just by looking at it. This was a good read for me because I never read up on anthing like this before. Especially when it came to DTD Element and such. The figures for making XML work with stylesheets was helpful as well...

XML Schema Tutorial:

After reading the introduction, I'm glad I read the other readings first... This tutorial gave great definitions of XML Schema and exactly what it does, supports, and how its used. It later gives examples of code and breaks down simple types, complex types, and data types. This makes for another good print out that I'm sure I'll end up referring to at some point.

Muddiest Point:

We still haven't used to codes we've been looking at to build any websites... I'm aware its coming but I'd like to do it now while all this code jargon is fresh on my brain. I also wish the readings weren't so much the same. But I guess that's good for memorization...

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I also really liked the Andre Bergholz Tutorial,and found it wonderful to see how clear XML makes content. I only wish that there was something better then these 4 sites to fully grasp XML.
I think we need to use the codes in order to really understand them. I Can read all I want and process, but until you code there is a disconnect. Do you feel this as well?
I didn't know the new Dreamweaver has XML and XHTML, so thanks for telling me that!

Susan Barbish said...

I agree on the intro to xml that it could of been worded better. have no experience in XML I found it hard to follow. The article with additional resources and examples were some of the better ones.

raygunrobot said...

I've finished two of the four pages for the assignment, and I feel pretty comfortable with html now, but XML looks more confusing to me. I know that's weird, but it does!