Friday, October 3, 2008

Week 7:

Comments:

Blogger:
To Nate on his Wi-Fi question
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=301150766198525940&postID=22716207993430543&page=1

To E. Griswold on her comments
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3799366651359702810&postID=1475439621040041093&page=1

How the Internet Infrastructure Works:

I know nobody owns the internet… That person would be a gazillionaire!! I just can’t imagine that something so important, something used by everyone in everyday life to do important tasks, has no owner. One thing we haven’t really seen yet was how the computer network hierarchy works. This isn’t new to me, but it’s always cool to see visual diagrams. Also, I’ve always seen acronyms like ‘POP’ and ‘NAP’, but never knew what they stood for. Well, now I know. Seeing how routers work was interesting as well.

Dismantling Integrated Library Systems:

Interesting… I’m not sure about the real relevance though. This article was informative and definitely give me something to think about as far as ILS’s go, but it just seemed like a bunch of Jeopardy knowledge to me.

Inside the Google Machine:

This was an informative, well spoken, and funny at times video that managed to keep my attention for 20 minutes. If you knew me, that’s saying a lot! I had no idea what a big deal Google is. I knew it was a search engine for different sorts of things like web articles, images, video, etc. It was cool to see all the other Google projects I didn’t know about like. Services like Google Answers sounds like something that would be of great help for students doing research papers. They said that you could use it from $5 to $50… I wonder how the service would differ from price? This was a great video to watch with great media demonstrations. It’s amazing how humor and speaking in a down to earth, relaxed way can get through to audiences.

Muddiest Point:

I couldn’t get the article Dismantling Integrated Library Systems to load with the link provided, so I had to search for it. After finding it, which wasn’t hard, I didn’t see the relevance…

2 comments:

ngrey_o said...

Yea that Integrated Library Systems article was pretty bad. If it had any real relevance to it, it was too hard to figure it out for all the jargon and complaining in it.

Rand said...

Your question about Google Answers may be out of play at this point, seeing as the service apparently stopped being offered in late 2006. As for the ILS article, our class seems to unanimously agree that it was both incomprehensible and pointless. Maybe the best plan is to try not to think about it!