Thursday, October 9, 2008

Week 8:

Comments:

To Amanda on her thoughts on HTML:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=271112965323219834&postID=2641527911712725877&page=1

To SPK on his thoughts on HTML:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1129785935180596689&postID=6165812584986651423&page=1

Readings:

The "BEYOND HTML" article was fascinating, and it just so happens that we had a seminar at work about this very same subject matter. At GAI Consultants, there's about 600 of us... The seminar was about showing us how each employee is tracked on an online database system. It also showed us how to use this database to easily mail information to one another. This article did a great job of explaining content management in the way it was written, and the charts and graphs it used.

I've been building websites for a couple of years now. That's why this was the best week of readings for me so far. I use the most popular program out there from the Adobe Suite called Dreamweaver. It allows you to create websites from a design, code, or design/code point of view. The downside to making websites in the design point of view is that you don't really get a chance to learn the HTML or CSS coding. To be honest, I create my sites from a design point of view, but I check the code view every once in a while.

Although I've learned HTML before in my undergrad graphic design classes, the coding is something I've pushed back in my mind. These 4 readings went hand in hand with each other and were a GREAT refresher on the subject and it has made me think about designing my sites from a code point of view from now on. I even printed out the HTML cheatsheet.

CSS designing is really awesome! It allows you to change the appearance of your website simply by changing the "style" setting! My favorite website for CSS, and probably the best example of how it works is the CSS Zen Garden. Check it out and click away! http://www.csszengarden.com/

Muddiest Point:

I loved the readings. They were a huge help in a lot of ways... But I felt that even though I printed it out, the HTML cheat sheet was unnecessary for most people. All I mean is that I think it could've been subsituted for another reading that's a little bit different.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just checked out the CSS Zen garden link and yes...very very beautiful! I wish I had more time to learn this code by heart and play around with it. I like you found the readings to be a great refresher, I havent really used HTML in a LONG time...but it's incredible how much I remembered and the rest...maybe I should go make a webpage now.

raygunrobot said...

Oooh, thanks for that link! I've never had to make a webpage,but I'm really looking forward to it, especially now.

susan geiss said...

Hi Dom,
I have never done anything like this before and I want to thank you for the great link! It is amazing what CSS can do. I liked the readings also. This is my first exposure to many of these things and I am in awe of all of you that have been doing this forever!

Alberta said...

Thanks for the link to the CSS Zen Garden! It opens up a whole world of possibility. Everything we have been learning has been so interesting. For me, it has made the web environment more accessible and more rife with possibility than I ever thought it could be!