Monday, September 1, 2008

Week #1

Muddiest Point:


I have to agree with some people and say that the problem I'm having most is understanding the due dates of the assignments and readings. I'm just gonna try and stay ahead in the next few days to avoid any lateness. Here's what I guess is due for week 1:


Information Format Trends: Content, Not Containers


The OCLC article was very interesting as far as presenting the new trends in information processing and how it compares to the traditional ways. The part I was interested in the most was the section entitled, "Content explosions." Discussions like sending text messages, emails, and blogging are things that I can actual relate to, and it was cool to see some of the prediction numbers for the future. I also enjoyed reading the Social Publishing section of the "New voices all around" section. Its crazy to thing that blogging can now be considered a news source.

Information Literacy and Information Technology Literacy:


I totally agree with Clifford Lynch's article when he states that people aren't prepared the way they should be to handle life in a world of Information Technology. I went to school and studied graphic design and like to think that I have a general understanding of graphic programs on Macs and PCs. However, its only a general understanding. This is something I majored in and I can only imagine how little people must know if they didn't major in some sort of computer based technology. As he states in his article, I do feel a bit cheated, and when it comes to graphic design, I think I know enough about it to be dangerous.

Lied Library:

As far as Jason Vaughan's article goes... I couldn't relate to it as much, but I did find it to be very informative and descriptive. Much of what he said could've gone without saying, but it is helpful in bringing people up to speed with digital library information.

No comments: