Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Week 3:

Introduction to Linux: A Hands On Guide

Basically, I found this reading to be a thorough and somewhat laid back guide to all that is UNIX and Linux. I had some experiences with using Linux adaptable files in an Internet and Multimedia class I took while getting my undergrad at IUP. It seems that Linux Operating Systems are the ideal choice for people in the programming profession. People that dabble and know different types of code and are into that sort of thing. i.e. not me! Learning the basic properties of Linux systems was pretty cool. I didn't know that it was free, able to be edited and saved, and probably as secure as I think my Mac is. The only problem I feel I may have with Linux operating systems is the lack of user friendliness it seems to have.

Mac OS X on Kernelthread.com

I'm a Mac user so it was nice to read what other people say and feel about Macs... Here are some of my thoughts/responses to what I read:

-I feel Macs are good for just about anything, not just graphics and media work
-You can pretty much get any PC program installed on a Mac now, geez, you can even get Windows if you'd like!
-Macs ARE pricey, but you pay for what you get... security, speed, graphics and sound, and the fact that not many viruses can get to a Mac. I just paid off the credit card I needed to get my Mac... was it worth it? Yes!

It was nice to read an article that was laid back and easy to read for a change. I look forward to reading more like it. Before reading this article, I had originally thought that Apple was a solo company from its start. I had know idea that NEXTSTEP had anything to do with MAC OS X. Although I don't trust myself to try them, it was cool to see some commands that I can put into my computer. I liked how it showed how the different folders were linked and how it broke down the features of Mac computers so you can see just what each application does. I took notes on the software available as well. In the end, just like the Linux article, this was a great guide to another Operating System.

An Update on the Windows Roadmap.

Well, after reading the Mac article, I can say that I wasn't looking forward to this one, so call me biased? It'd be different if my last experience with a PC and Windows was a good one, but it wasn't. I enjoyed the article, especially when it described problems that I've actually faced with Windows... Slow start-up, "too busy," and unresponsiveness. This reading presented a lot of good facts and shows that Windows is moving forward in development and growing with its amount of users. I feel that Macs are taking over and there are some things that Windows will never be able to touch in the Mac world. The commercials say it all! I think Windows should keep there focus on compatibility and performance. Much like gaming system companies out there today. Performance and compatibility = computer sales.

Muddiest Point

I don't have much this week, but it was a little boring reading about the parts of the computer... I'm not going to lie, I had to read it twice because after the first time I read it, it was like I didn't read it at all because I was a little bored with it. The lecture was informative... The pictures of the different OS's were a big help. I didn't know that Linux display looked a lot like the Macs. Regarding how I said the readings were a little boring, I understand that its information we should all know, and I do realize that some people actually don't know even the most basic parts of a computer.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF COMMENTS BELOW

1 comment:

Shayne said...

Dom,

Just thought I'd leave a little something regarding the OS's. Being in the Computer Engineering major, your comment about the lack of Linux and Unix being very user friendly is dead on. At least in my opinion as well anyway. I am a Senior and still dumb through those systems like I have never touched them before.

Windows and Mac are definitely at the forefront concerning Operating Systems. Myself being a PC man, you have a valid point about Mac taking over. I believe they are as well. I just cannot bring myself to buy one because I am so fluent at the use of a PC. I am sure many other people fall into both of our categories but one this is for sure, PC and Mac will not be dethroned anytime soon.