Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 4:

This will be the format for my blog from now on... promise!

Comments:

Blogger:

To Peter on Metadata:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4619180577856147392&postID=6564099702343520457&page=1

To Nate on week 4 in general:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=301150766198525940&postID=684622235319305917

Courseweb:

Reply to Cari's 2 cents on Digitizing:
https://courseweb.pitt.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_9047_1%26url%3D

Database:


Out of the 3 different database models, the database model that makes the most sense to me is the hierarchical model, which is the model made up of information organized in an inverted tree-like structure. I guess it makes the most sense because it the easiest one to visualize in my head and I can relate it to other types of models, like family trees. It seems like it would take up a lot of space, say if it were printed out, but I think its a lot easier to read than the relational model.


Intro to Metadata:


Metadata is described as data about data and the sum total of what one can say about any information object at any level of aggregation. The article lists the professional community of design as a group that uses and understands this term. In the years I've been a designer, I've never heard of the term "metadata." Perhaps they should specify what type of design... The term "design" is very vague.

An overview of the Dublin Core Data Model:

To me, the Dublin Core Data Model is an international effort to create a worldwide database, kinda like the internet, that takes worldwide information and organizes it to be discovered by numerous countries. Are we sure Al Gore didn't invent the DCDM too?


Muddiest Point:

I've found everything I've read so far VERY informative... However, to me some of it just seems like useless Jeopardy knowledge..? It also bothers me when these articles try to relate or associate things like design to what they're trying to talk about and then don't elaborate. I wish that they would stop elaborating on the stuff that sounds like jargon to me and more on the stuff I can relate to...

1 comment:

ngrey_o said...

I agree with you there Dom, these articles seem geared for folks who already have some knowledge of the terms and concepts presented. And have been very difficult to take any actual working knowledge away from them because im left feeling so confused.